Computer forensics or digital forensics is a time period in computer science to acquire authorized proof found in digital media or computers storage. With digital forensic investigation, the investigator can discover what occurred to the digital media such as emails, hard disk, logs, computer system, and the network itself. In many case, forensic investigation can produce how the crime could occurred and the way we are able to protect ourselves against it next time.
Some the reason why we have to conduct a forensic investigation: 1. To collect evidences in order that it may be used in court to unravel authorized cases. 2. To research our network power, and to fill the safety hole with patches and fixes. 3. To get better deleted recordsdata or any information in the occasion of hardware or software failure
In computer forensics, crucial things that should be remembered when conducting the investigation are:
1. The original evidence must not be altered in in any case, and to do conduct the process, forensic investigator hacked phone should make a bit-stream image. Bit-stream image is a little by little copy of the unique storage medium and actual copy of the unique media. The difference between a bit-stream image and normal copy of the original storage is bit-stream image is the slack space in the storage. You will not find any slack space information on a copy media.
2. All forensic processes must follow the authorized laws in corresponding nation where the crimes happened. Every nation has completely different legislation suit in IT field. Some take IT guidelines very critically, for example: United Kingdom, Australia.
3. All forensic processes can only be performed after the investigator has the search warrant.
Forensic investigators would normally wanting on the timeline of how the crimes happened in well timed manner. With that, we are able to produce the crime scene about how, when, what and why crimes could happened. In a giant firm, it is suggested to create a Digital Forensic Team or First Responder Team, so that the corporate might nonetheless protect the proof until the forensic investigator come to the crime scene.
First Response guidelines are: 1. Under no circumstances ought to anyone, apart from Forensic Analyst, to make any makes an attempt to recuperate information from any computer system or machine that holds digital information. 2. Any try and retrieve the data by particular person said in number 1, ought to be avoided because it could compromise the integrity of the evidence, through which turned inadmissible in authorized court.
Primarily based on that guidelines, it has already defined the vital roles of getting a First Responder Group in a company. The unqualified individual can solely secure the perimeter so that no one can touch the crime scene till Forensic Analyst has come (This can be executed by taking photo of the crime scene. They will also make notes about the scene and who had been present at that time.
Steps need to be taken when a digital crimes happenred in an expert approach: 1. Safe the crime scene until the forensic analyst arrive.
2. Forensic Analyst must request for the search warrant from local authorities or firm’s management.
3. Forensic Analyst make take an image of the crime scene in case of if there isn’t any any photographs has been taken.
4. If the computer is still powered on, do not turned off the computer. Instead, used a forensic instruments comparable to Helix to get some info that can solely be discovered when the computer is still powered on, corresponding to knowledge on RAM, and registries. Such tools has it is particular function as not to write anything back to the system so the integrity keep intake.
5. Once all live evidence is collected, Forensic Analyst cant turned off the computer and take harddisk back to forensic lab.
6. All the evidences should be documented, wherein chain of custody is used. Chain of Custody preserve records on the evidence, comparable to: who has the proof for the final time.
7. Securing the proof have to be accompanied by legal officer reminiscent of police as a formality.
8. Back in the lab, Forensic Analyst take the proof to create bit-stream image, as unique proof should not be used. Usually, Forensic Analyst will create 2-5 bit-stream image in case 1 image is corrupted. In fact Chain of Custody nonetheless used in this situation to maintain information of the evidence.
9. Hash of the original evidence and bit-stream image is created. This acts as a proof that unique evidence and the bit-stream image is the precise copy. So any alteration on the bit image will lead to completely different hash, which makes the evidences found change into inadmissible in court.
10. Forensic Analyst begins to search out evidence in the bit-stream image by rigorously trying on the corresponding location relies on what sort of crime has happened. For instance: Non permanent Internet Files, Slack Area, Deleted File, Steganography files.